Re: [Xen-devel] ip addresses for domains

To: victor <victor@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] ip addresses for domains
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:47:09 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:52:24 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I want to change ip addreses for the primary domain and for all the
> virtual domains.
> I see the following line:
>
> addr.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(0xa9fe0100); /* 169.254.1.0 */
>
> Does this means that the range 169.254.0.0/16 is hard coded?

This is just used as the destination for console
messages. Provided domain 0 has an alias for 169.254.1.0 you will
receive the messages regardless of what IP addresses you've
assigned the other domains.

[The way console messages are handled is just about to change in
the 1.3 tree and the need for this special address has gone
away].

You can assign your domains whatever IP addresses you like. The
only thing that's special about the 169.254.0.0/16 range is that
packets with source/destination in this range stay within Xen's
Virtual Firewall/Router : they are never forwarded onto the
'wire' or read off it.  Hence, it's a convenient range to use if
your domains don't need external access (they're effectively
firewalled off from the external network).

> To be short, how can I change de ip addresses for the virtual
> servers?

Modify your defaults file to set the 'vfr_ipadd' list
appropriately when you start the domain, or configure further IP
addresses on the fly using 'xc_dom_control vif_addip'.

Hopefully Jan will put this in the FAQ ;-)

Best,
Ian