Re: [Xen-devel] megaraid problem on hp netserver lh6000 - ignorebiostabl

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] megaraid problem on hp netserver lh6000 - ignorebiostables o.k.
From: Manfred.Herrmann@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 18:18:40 +0100
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 17:21:29 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

XenDemoCD 1.2 - The problem exist with more than 1 CPU.

  Following configurations are o.k. with 1 CPU:
   4GByte RAM o.k.
   Adaptec AIC7880 o.k.
   Netraid o.k.
   5 NICs (4 3C905 + 1 EEPRO100) o.k.
  Multiple domains are o.k. (ssh login possible)

XenDemoCD 1.0 - No boot problem, dom0 o.k.

  4 CPUs

[root@xendemo0 root]# xenctl domain list
id: 0 (Domain-0)
  processor: 0
  has cpu: true
  state: 0 running
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 25000
id: 1 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 1
  has cpu: false         <--- what is "false" ?
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 2 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 2
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 3 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 3
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 4 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 0
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 5 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 1
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 6 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 2
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 7 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 3
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
id: 8 (XenoLinux)
  processor: 0
  has cpu: false
  state: 8 suspended
  mcu advance: 10
  total pages: 24576
[root@xendemo0 root]#

> > > 3) Boot a 2.4.16 version of Linux (e.g. from the 1.0
> > > XenDemoCD). If that fails, step forward versions until you find
> > > the one where it starts working. (It's probably a BIOS table or
> > > weird APIC issue)
> > >
> > ? sorry ... what to do in detail ?
> > On my XenDemoCD 1.0 download/22.01.2004 is only 2.4.22 as a boot
> > config.
> > This XenoLinux config booting is o.k.!
> > In dmesg only one cpu.
> > With mii-tools no network interface is accessible.
>
> Hang-on, you mean the Linux 2.4.22 kernel is only finding one
> CPU? I though an early message said it was OK SMP i.e. 'top'
> shows 5 CPUs etc.
>
> If 2.4.22 does work, please can you try compiling up a 2.4.20 to
> see if that breaks. (there's a 2.4.16 on the *1.0* version of the
> demoCD.)

Native Linux 2.4.22 from XenDemoCD 1.2 is o.k..

Do you mean a standard Linux as debian 2.4.18?

Give me a detailed instruction what and how ... and I will try it.

> If we can find the most recent version that fails to work, that
> will give us a clue as to what we're missing.
>
> Having the Xen boot output will helpful too. Has this machine got
> builtin-in remote console facilities that you could cut and paste
> from instead of setting up a serial line?

sorry, I don´t know about the remote console features