Re: [Xen-devel] dumping a domain's core

To: Kip Macy <kmacy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] dumping a domain's core
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:02:40 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 21:05:33 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> When a domain is killed by Xen:
> DOM0: (file=memory.c, line=333) Page 11c51000 bad type/count
> (02000000!=01000000) cnt=1
> Killing domain 3
> Releasing task 3
>
> it would be nice if it notified DOM0, so that DOM0 could map in the
> domain's pages and write them out to disk. Is there an existing
> mechanism in place that I can use for notification?

Right now, the only way to do this is rather grim -- see the auto
reboot stuff in xc_dom_create. It polls get_domain_info once a
second.

In the 1.3 tree, if you've got the pages mapped into domain 0
they won't go straight back on the free list when the domain dies
(as they're referenced counted). You can then write out a core
dump.

Also, you might want to check out Alex's PDB stuff which is now
in the 1.3 tree. It should enable you to insert breakpoints into
the other domain.

Ian