Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel

To: "Tvrtko A. Uršulin" <tvrtko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Kernel panic while compiling kernel
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:06:44 +0000
Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 15:10:25 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Monday 16 February 2004 14:59, Keir Fraser wrote:
>
> > It does seem that your builds have a much higher failure rate than
> > usual. You are doing a completely clean build in all cases, with no
> > modifications from teh default configurations?
>
> Erm O:-) not quite, but I didn't realize it is not safe to turn some options
> on (like modular netfilter, QoS, ...)
> I must say that when I recompiled with make defconfig (that is oldconfig
> without .config, only added reiserfs), mmu update panic is gone.

> CONFIG_MPENTIUM4=y
> CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=7

You've probably been bitten by one of these CPU config options. All
your other config changes should be okay (shouldn't break anything).
In particular, I expect that we haven't done testing with any other
cache-line size than 32 bytes.

I'll look into this... it's something I hadn't considered. :-)

*BUT* take it as a reminder to list everything non-standard about your
build and environment when reporting a bug.

 -- Keir

PS. Can you try building your own Xenolinux with all your config
changes _except_ the ones listed above? i.e. you should have
CONFIG_M686=y and CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT=5. I expect that the
resulting kernel should not crash.