Re: [Xen-devel] The Problem of Creating a domain

To: "Inaba" <m9244001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] The Problem of Creating a domain
From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:00:19 +0000
Cc: "Ian Pratt" <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-devel" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 09:03:41 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have editted the /etc/fstab like this
>
> /dev/hda1               /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> none                       /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
> 0
> /dev/hda5               /domain                 ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                       /proc                   proc    defaults        0
> 0
> none                       /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
> 0
> /dev/hda2               /work                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> /dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
>
> but when I created a new domain, some errors still occurred in filesystem
> checking as below
>
> [1] Checking filesystems
> [1] fsck.ext3Possibly non-existent or swap device?
> [1] Possibly non-existent or swap device?
> [1] Checking all file systems.
> [1] [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /domain] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hda5
> [1] [/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /work] fsck.ext3 -a /dev/hda2
> [1] : No such device or address while trying to open /dev/hda5
> [1] fsck.ext3: No such device or address while trying to open /dev/hda2
> [1] [FAILED]
> [1]
> [1] *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> [1] *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> [1] *** when you leave the shell.
> [1] Give root password for maintenance
>
> I think may be there are some errors in  /etc/fstab but I could not find it

The above error message means "there is no device called /dev/hda5".
This means that you have not exported it as a vbd to this domain.

The vbd exports and the /etc/fstab for every domain (except 0) need
to be "in sync".

> another dumb problem:
>
> my vbd_list is set like this
>
> vbd_list = [ ('phy:hda5','hda5','w' ), ('phy:hda3','hda3','w') ]
>
> but it shows the error message as below
>
> Warning: one or more hard disk extents are
>          writeable by two or more domains simultaneously.
> ERROR: This kind of disk sharing is not allowed
>         at the current safety level (0).

My guess is that you have either hda5 or hda3 (or both) mounted
read-write in domain 0. If the tool let you proceed, you would
end up moulinexing the partitions (you cannot allow two domains
to mount the same partition read-write as they will make independent
and inconsistent updates).

To fix this, unmout (or remount read-only) /dev/hda5 and/or /dev/hda3

> and then I changed the vbd_list as
>
> vbd_list = [ ('phy:hda1','hda1','w' ), ('phy:hda3','hda3','w') ]
>
> It could continue the domain booting sequence

Well this would cause the problem you observed above: you have now
not exported hda5 to the new domain, and so when it tries to access
it it discovers that it is not there.

> Why I can't use /dev/hda5 as the vbd_list?

This is not a sane question -- if you mean why can you not have
hda5 in the vbd_list, the answer is almost certainly as explained
above.

> Is there any clear document that descirbe how to install Xen from
> xeno-1.2.tar.gz step by step?

There are a number of howtos as mentioned in Ian's last message:

   Jans' excellent Xen FAQ:
   http://xen.epiuse.com/xen-faq.txt

   Bin Ren's HOWTO:
   http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/doc/xeno-1.1-howto.txt

   Yan-Ching's HOWTO:
   http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~u2ycc/xen/xen-install-domain-fs-howto.txt

   Xen for Grid by Greg Newby:
   http://www.arsc.edu/~newby/grid/xen-for-grid.txt

However I do not think any of these go into sufficient detail for you.

cheers,

S.