[Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-announce] Questions about the control tools in Xen

To: "Inaba" <B8844014@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-announce] Questions about the control tools in Xen
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:23:36 +0000
Cc: "Xen VMM Maillist" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:30:47 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Recently, I have traced part of the Xen VMM code.
>
> but I have some troubles...
>
> I could not find out the function ioctl() which is called by the function
> do_privcmd() (xeno-1.2.bk/tools/xc/lib/xc_private.h)

"man ioctl" -- its a system call

> Is the interface between guest OS and VMM just like the interface between OS
> and Hardware ?

Similar, but different. The best overview description is in the
SOSP paper available off the project web page.

> Is there any protection in Xen VMM to protect that only Domain 0 could use
> the control tools?

Yes. There's a concept of a 'privileged domain' that all dom0_ops
and other hypervisor interfaces check. In future, we may allow
delegations to enable, for example, domain 3 to be able to
control and manipulate domain 7 but no others.

Best,
Ian