Re: [Xen-devel] Multiple Xen Guests

To: Stephen Evanchik <evanchsa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Multiple Xen Guests
From: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:51:19 +0000
Cc: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:52:21 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I've successfully started 129 domains, but it was some time ago
> > and its not totally inconceivable that things could have rotted.
> >
> > You're not simply running out of memory are you? I'm afraid the
> > error codes on failure aren't very helpful -- its something that
> > we'd certainly like to fix.
>
> The machine has 2GB of memory, how much memory did 129 guests require?

According to my notes, I was using a machine with 2GB of RAM, and
started domain 0 with 48000KB and all the other domains with
15000KB. There was probably enough spare RAM to start a few more,
but I'd only created 129 root file systems, so didn't try.

Xen currently reserves quite a bit of RAM for itself, rather more
than is strictly needs for most configurations, but it hasn't
been a priority to fix it.

Ian