Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up Xen

On 21 Nov 2003, at 20:16, Dave Berlin wrote:

1)    Are there particular versions of Linux better suited than others to running Xen on? We currently have Redhat 9.0, but if it would be simpler to get it working on another version, we would be happy to switch.

Redhat is most widely used and tested. Debian Linux works 100% fine for me.
There seems to be some small trouble with Suse.

2)    Besides the basic readme, is there any further documentation about setting up and running Xen and XenoLinux? Specifically, we are looking for “how to” type documents or at least example scripts that get Xen running.

Hmm.... How many times should I repeat on this mailing list? Xeno-Howto
is under 'docs/' in both xeno-1.1 and xeno-unstable BK trees. Or you can
visit the online version at: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~br260/xeno-howto

3)    Is there a list of dependent programs that Xen needs to function properly? We have already discovered that we need both Ant and Java.

You need Ant and Java to compile tools under 'control' directory. You
need GRUB to boot Xen and XenoLinux in Domain0.

We currently rewriting Xen tools with Python in xeno-unstable tree. You
need at least Python 2.2

4)    We have tried to run the script to set up Xen. It references /boot and we are not sure what should be in that directory.

Under '/boot', you have gzipped Xen image 'xen.gz', gzipped XenoLinux
kernel 'xenolinux.gz' and 'grub' directory containing GRUB configuration
files.

5)    What exactly is xenolinux.gz for?

'xenolinux.gz' is gzipped XenoLinux kernel image.

6)    Is xenctl the main executable to control Xen and the creation of virtual systems? If so, is there documentation on how to run xenctl? If not, how do we actually get Xen running after we have done the install script??

Read Xeno-Howto.

-- Bin