Re: [Xen-devel] xenctl returning exceptions (half of the time!)

To: Bin Ren <br260@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] xenctl returning exceptions (half of the time!)
From: Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:27:36 -0500
Cc: Devel Xen <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 23:28:20 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 18:07, Bin Ren wrote:

> This error message is printed out by Sun J2SDK, not by Xen or XenoLinux.
> Unless there is additional information, we can't find out which Java
> file
> is responsible for this.

What is the recommended SDK to use for Xen?  I thought I read it was
Sun's 1.4.  I'm a newbie with Java so if you could tell me a way to get
a trace or debugging information it would be very much appreciated.
Also, do you have any input on my virtual disk or I/O scheduler
questions?

Additionally, i've gone through the readme's and the usage doc for
xenctl, but I am apparently doing something wrong.

[root@vpc root]# xenctl partitions add -p/dev/hdb1
warning: state file not found [/var/lib/xen/vdstate.xml]
Partition /dev/hdb1 does not exist.

but..

[root@vpc root]# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 17.1 GB, 17179803648 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2088 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1             1      2088  16771828+  83  Linux

This is the correct syntax for partitions add correct?  I've tried
setting the partition id to others (ie. 0=Empty).  I have been able to
format an ext3 fs on it so i'm positive the device is really accessible.

Another problem I have is this (taken from xenctl script
-f/etc/xen-mynewdom):
[root@vpc root]# /install/bin/xi_create 65535 XenoLinux
ERROR: Error when executing privileged control ioctl (1 = Operation not
permitted)

So, in closing..

1) Are these problems in 1.1rc1 and I should upgrade to the latest BK
files?
2) Are these new problems?
3) Am I being clueless and i've managed to break a perfectly setup
system? ;-)

> -- Bin

Matt Ayres <matta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
TekTonic