Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up a more complex system scenario

To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Setting up a more complex system scenario
From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:58:38 -0900
Delivery-date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:59:18 +0000
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm looking to set up a virtual domain that boots ro from the same
partitions as domain0, then I'll add rw access to a partition for its
own purposes.  Later, I'll add NFS for /home and other stuff.

The easiest way, it seems, is to modify these 3 files for each domain
and boot from the same / as domain0:
        /etc/fstab
        /etc/xenctl.xml
        /etc/xen-mynewdom  (or whatever I want to call it...)

I'm avoiding Bin's excellent suggestion of ClusterNFS just to make my
life easier for now....creating an alternate fstab is not risky, since
the worst that will happen if the system crashes is I'll accidentally
be mounted ro rather than rw.

Let's say I want to boot a domain with hostname "grid-14" (I'd like it
to be DOMID=14).  It seems I'm unable to find /boot, probably because
I'm not sure what the -d and boot options and others refer to (i.e.,
is "root directory" / or /boot or /dev/sda2 or what?).

Please take a look.  For now, let's just look at / (which includes
/usr and /usr/local/bin etc.) and /boot:

>From /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda2               /               reiserfs        defaults,ro 0 2
/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            defaults,ro 0 2

Here's xen-mynewdom:
domain new -hgrid-14.arsc.edu -ixenolinux.gz -dsda1 -t"ro root=/dev/sda2
DOMID=\14"
physical grant -phdc -r
physical grant -sda2 -r
physical grant -sda1 -r
domain start

Here's xenctl.xml:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<domctl_defaults>
<domain_name>XenoLinux</domain_name>
<domain_image>xenolinux.gz</domain_image>
<domain_vifs>1</domain_vifs>
<root_device>/dev/sda1</root_device>
<root_args>r</root_args>
<nw_ip>137.229.71.14</nw_ip>
<nw_gw>=</nw_gw>
<nw_mask>=</nw_mask>
<nw_nfs_server>169.254.1.0</nw_nfs_server>
<max_domain_number>50</max_domain_number>
<xi_tools_dir>/usr/local/bin/</xi_tools_dir>
</domctl_defaults>

I know these files could be a little different (I've been trying a few
things, and some options can be switched between xenctl.xml and the
xen-mynewdom script).

When I run:

Here is output from "xenctl script -f/etc/xen-mynewdom14" with the
files above.  I've tried variations on sda1 and sda2 with the same
"FileNotFoundException".

I think mine is a pretty simple approach, but there don't seem to be
any examples so I keep missing the syntax.  (Or maybe I need different
physical grant lines).  Thanks for pointing the way...
  -- Greg

Domain defaults:
   name            XenoLinux
   size            0
   vifs            1
   domainImage     xenolinux.gz
   domainInitRD    null
   rootDevice      /dev/sda1
   rootArgs        r
   usrDevice       null
   NWIP            137.229.71.14
   NWGW            137.229.71.1
   NWMask          255.255.255.240
   MaxDomainNumber 50
   NWNFSServer     169.254.1.0
   NWNFSRoot       null
   XIToolsDir      /usr/local/bin/
   args
java.io.FileNotFoundException: xenolinux.gz (No such file or directory)
        at
org.xenoserver.control.CommandDomainNew.getUncompressed(CommandDomainNew.java:402)
        at
org.xenoserver.control.CommandDomainNew.execute(CommandDomainNew.java:172)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.ParseDomainNew.parse(ParseDomainNew.java:53)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.ParseGroup.parse(ParseGroup.java:44)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.ParseGroup.parse(ParseGroup.java:44)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.Main.executeArgList(Main.java:59)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.ParseScript.parse(ParseScript.java:49)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.ParseGroup.parse(ParseGroup.java:44)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.Main.executeArgList(Main.java:59)
        at org.xenoserver.cmdline.Main.main(Main.java:91)
Could not create new domain (java.io.FileNotFoundException: xenolinux.gz (No
such file or directory))