Re: [Xen-devel] regarding privileges

To: Ian Pratt <Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] regarding privileges
From: Keir Fraser <Keir.Fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:32:33 +0100
Cc: Paul Boehm <paul@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:43:46 +0100
Sender: xen-devel-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> That's a fair point. The intention is to split up the 'privilege'
> in to a bit mask to enable finer grained control and granting of
> specific privileges to domains, (like the 'CAP_*' stuff in
> Linux). It should be a fairly simple task to split the privileges
> up -- one for the todo list.

Yes, this needs to be considered at the same time we refactor the Xen
hypercall interface. eg. perhaps not all current dom0_ops should be
dom0_ops (access should instead be controlled by some other
capability). Adjusting it so that access to each `privileged'
hypercall is controlled by one capability each might be neat, and help
work out a neat rearrangement for the hypercalls.

 -- Keir