xen-cim

[Xen-cim] Re: Question about disks

To: "Subrahmanian, Raj" <raj.subrahmanian@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-cim] Re: Question about disks
From: Jim Fehlig <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:10:49 -0700
Cc: xen-cim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 17:14:38 -0800
Sender: xen-cim-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subrahmanian, Raj wrote:
Jim,
Did you mention in a call that you were having trouble with disks when
you were tyring to create a VM with CIM?
What were the details of the problem?

I did have a problem a few weeks back where the root device was not being detected in the guest. I think it was a problem with my initrd but don't recall now. I do not see this problem now. In fact, with the latest 'Allow adding VIF devices to a VM in halted state' patch submitted to xen-devel, I am able to

- define a vm (VirtualSystemManagementService.DefineVirtualSystem())
- activate the vm
- pause/resume the vm
- deactivate the vm

I'm working on VirtualSystemManagementService.DestroyVirtualSystem() now. Seems to be a bug in the provider code preventing this operation.

All of this functionality is available using tip of the XenCIM repo. I do have a small commit outstanding that enables creating a vif. This code was commented in Xen_VirtualSystemManagementService.c since the operation failed when calling into libxenapi. The above mentioned patch fixes the problem in xend so I can now activate this code. I will try to get this checked in shortly.

Jim