[Xen-API] Retrieve effectively used RAM by domU via API

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] Retrieve effectively used RAM by domU via API
From: Double-U <double-u@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:26:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 12:26:57 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've been out and about trying to find a way to retrieve the actual amount of
RAM used by a domU via the API.
Thus far I've tried the API functions (VM_metrics), which always return the
maximum amount of RAM available to the VM (b/o the ballooning mechanism).
Then I tried the RRD's, but upon closer investigation these return the same
values as well.

Now, I am not very knowledgeable about this matter, but isn't there some way
that Xen knows the amount of memory the VM is actually using, instead of the
amount reserved? The only way I seem to be able to get that number is by
actually running something like 'top' inside the domU -- which is hard when I
sometimes do not have access to the VM. I hope turning the ballooning off isn't
my only option here.

In case you are wondering why I would require said amounts: I need to know them
to determine the efficiency of the software inside the VM (usage & leakiness)
and the VM configuration.

Did I miss something, isn't this exposed yet or am I experiencing a technical
restriction?

Any insight is greatly appreciated,