Re: [Xen-API] how to use credit scheduler in xcp

To: Mike McClurg <mike.mcclurg@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] how to use credit scheduler in xcp
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:05:38 +0400
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 May 2011 03:06:26 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:subject:from:to:cc:in-reply-to:references :content-type:date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer :content-transfer-encoding; bh=jtf+WOQQNdDV8vE0vRzRmskjBqOI4OugVt+oLB3XIZE=; b=usEWp58nK485PMmJI4XhXar1pmKNtxeBreAtod4kITda1AGb6aFHGEOX+V8bvART1d ztqTpbmw1gYSncpBnLPeQDws5Z2k5+MRH4EtA/SvzUiM2ygss3IIyve0OXPbax2xpkZ3 wpQUEWawKR2UO7LF2W/YE3+tFot4Mr5QNt2BE=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No, you can use xl/xc with xapi.

Python binding for xc is installed for python in XCP (import
xen.lowlevel.xc), and xl is avaible.

You can freely change weight/cap for domains online, this will works
until VM migrate/reboot.

You can not do following things with xl under xapi control:

domain destroy, create domain save, resume, migrate, cd-insert/eject,
pci* commands

You can do xl list (and this is much faster, than xe vm-list
resident-on=`xe host-list name-label=$(hostname)`), xl pause/unpause
(but no domain state change). xl console (for domains with
no_pv_vnc_console attribute) and so on.

It's pretty simple to understand what is allowed: xapi control domain
life cycle, until you do not change it, everything is ok.

We, actually, do many things with domain via libxc  in product and this
does not mess with xapi. The most important thing is, f.e., domain
mandatory shutdown. If domain not responding, when you send shutdown,
xapi waiting until timeout before performing next (shutdown --force),
and if you do xc.domain_shutdown(), xapi found domain is shutdowned it
reacts normally,

I think, after XCP was published under free license, we can say it
starts to loosing it 'closed appliance' appearance: you can hack it any
comfortable way until you know what you do.