[Xen-API] Re: repository for storage manager (/opt/xensource/sm)

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] Re: repository for storage manager (/opt/xensource/sm)
From: Zheng Li <dev@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 21:44:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 May 2011 13:48:16 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi George,

On 18/05/2011 16:53, George Shuklin wrote:
I found that files in /opt/xensource/sm is not provided by any package
and there is no any repository on github with those files.

But those files are licensed under GPL and have great infuence on XCP
stability (right now I still fighting with multipath problem and I
thought to push patch for solution  - but I found nowhere to
clone/push).

Where did you found the evidences that SM code was licensed under *GPL*?
Honestly, I tried a few days ago, but ultimately failed.

* The official XenServer/XCP source ISOs, which are distributed as part of
XenServer/XCP and are supposed to contain all the open sourced components of
XenServer/XCP, doesn't contains the SM code (Let me know if I overlooked, I
only checked one version of XenServer and the newest XCP source ISO content
list http://downloads.xen.org/XCP/42052/sources/source-1.iso.txt). There, in
the sm directory, you can only find thepexpect code (Attrib license) which the
SM component depends on.
* XCP once released a checkpointed versions of sm.hg on xenbit and probably synced it once in a while. However I couldn't find any LICENSE file in the directory about the actual license being used. Only some of the source files have license heads of *LGPL* (rather than *GPL* as you mentioned). In fact, some of the source files even come with proprietary license heads (e.g.http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/XCP/xen-sm.hg/file/008eee4e2699/XenCert/XenCert).
So the foremost question is not yet whether SM code should move to github etc.
but whether it's OSS and what's the actual license for each part of it. It's
probably safe to assume that particular branch of sm.hg that has been put on
xenbit is intentionally OSS, but I'm not a layer so please take your own risk.

HTH.
Zheng