[Xen-API] Q on shared memory and evt-channel

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] Q on shared memory and evt-channel
From: ravi kerur <rkerur@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 16:06:27 -0800
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 20:12:25 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I am trying to set up a shared memory/event-channels between dom0 and domU's via socket calls. I do not want to use existing front-end/back-end driver mechanism as it relies on devices aka vif, vbd type of device to be created and uses xenbus/xenstored for communication between domains. Adding support for new device similar to vif/vbd may require xapi toolstack changes as well which I would like to avoid. Instead

1. write own socket library calls aka bind/connect and use them to setup shared memory and event channels between domains. I will have client and server side of application, server side running on dom0 and client side on domU's.

or

2. write a kernel module(aka driver) and create devices under /dev/<some_device_name> in both dom0 and domU's and use these device to setup shared mem/evt_chnl.

 I haven't sketched out details yet, but thought of checking if this would be feasible.

Thanks
-Ravi