RE: [Xen-API] Squeezed + slow domain = broken dynamic memory

To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] Squeezed + slow domain = broken dynamic memory
From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:25:04 +0300
Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:25:22 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:subject:from:to:cc:in-reply-to:references :content-type:date:message-id:mime-version:x-mailer :content-transfer-encoding; bh=KeF4Vn+WBcph4g4obMErlZ+f9dDtncHkVFyrBZvt7rI=; b=ucu1KQaQGIsFyRjxewWvAJdZkVjZXyR65o8xSV8+ScstgGUcGI3TMxrArx15L6zpB5 xFPCvOm9Yclu6qAdLJD90J5l56tdcDPehp541R1K9Ju8lZyRsIgnvZJRdN8u2ghqa4E5 bhDjRdMLcMKD3CpXBKZfPWXCLxr3NRp/7FVbo=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
В Пт., 14/01/2011 в 16:06 +0000, Dave Scott пишет:
> Hi George,
>
> > Good day.
> >
> > I found strange limitation in squeezed code: if domain's balloon does
> > not reply to memory change request it marked as 'uncooperative'.
> >
> > This cause stops to react to vm-memory-dynamic-set commands and stay
> > until xe toolstak restarted.
>
> Hm, I thought if you used vm-memory-dynamic-set then the new memory target
> would still be written in xenstore -- does it remain at the old value?

Good day.

I believe I found source of problem. As I understand, when VM boot,
squeezed reserve and transfer 'initial-reservation' memory. But when
memory-dynamic (both max, min and target) are moved higher than
initial-reservation, if squeezed market domain as uncooperative, it will
NOT reserve and transfer reservation to domain.

Simple test to reproduce:

1) Start VM
2) Stop squeezed
3) Use xenstore-write to lower target - it will work
3) Use xenstore-write to raise target - it will work until value where
squeezed was stopped
4) try to raise higher - got nothing - memory will not be allocated.

This sample is somehow synthetic, but it shows how it can happens, when
memory does not changed when domain market as 'inactive'.