Re: [Xen-API] Configuration options from the hypervisor?

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Configuration options from the hypervisor?
From: Cutter 409 <cutter409@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 10:30:48 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 07:30:57 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=v+PpGc43ZXBqIMdIuh9ijIozAAX5d/nJ46YEts1BYGQ=; b=rzr7cjlJHhm1xlh5YVkO0PngyHcWd+KWpq+6/NqC1uyAIV2iGtAtWLdmJw9lhDvkWm pWJ2ICjYjqwM9WKEeMc9H3Zcrn7V1pJGlNPoPPEDvMssgWK42Op8Jx66hWs6gkjmFa1E Q4DdBRH9sHE3XtQ5aG56NnJr2zqTzLrM70r/Y=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks, but I'm actually referring to per VM configuration data. I'm trying to get some custom configuration strings passed to the hypervisor when a VM starts.

I was hoping that somehow I could read the other_config section from the hypervisor, but maybe it's only possible to pass data after starting the guest with an event channel?

-Stephen

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 3:00 AM, Magnus Therning <magnus.therning@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 09:33:26PM +0000, Cutter 409 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to pass configuration options to the hypervisor.
>
> It seems like each VM has an "other_config" section that I should be able to
> add options to, but I can't seem to figure out how to read them from the
> hypervisor.
> In userland I can set the options using " session.xenapi.VM.add_to_
> other_config(  ) " (In Python) but is there any way to retreive it from the
> hypervisor?
>
> If not, is there another mechanism where I can store additional
> configuration data?

Arguments for the hypervisor are passed by the boot loader.  Take a look at
/boot/extlinux.conf.

Cheers,

Magnus Therning
magnus.therning@xxxxxxxxxxxxx          Jabber: magnusth@eng

There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language
in which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs.
    -- Flon's Axiom

Perl is another example of filling a tiny, short-term need, and then
being a real problem in the longer term.
    -- Alan Kay