RE: [Xen-API] RE: Questions about the api

To: Julian Chesterfield <Julian.Chesterfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] RE: Questions about the api
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:19:41 +0100
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: 'Tomoiaga Cristian' <cristi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:19:55 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Julian wrote:
> I've thought for a while that it
> would be beneficial to store more metadata persistently within the SR
> itself, to make it more portable and to overcome synchronisation issues
> like this. This was the original intention for the MGT volume in LVHD.

It would be great to store stuff like VDI name_labels and VM metadata snapshots
for DR. We should definitely do some more thinking about this.

Dave wrote (about the snapshot VDI fields)
> > We should consider allowing the backend to read/write these fields.
> > There's already precedent for that kind of thing: the backend can call
> > VDI.set_virtual_size but it looks read/only to everyone else.
> >
> I would be strongly in favour of this also.

Great. I think once we've branched for the next release we could make this
happen in XCP unstable.

Cheers,
Dave