[Xen-API] Trying to gather statistics by parsing the rrd data files

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] Trying to gather statistics by parsing the rrd data files
From: Abhishek Joshi <abhishek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 18:37:10 -0700
Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 02:07:08 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello All,

I am trying to gather xenserver statistics by parsing the xenserver rrd files that reside on the xen host, by retrieving them via a python plugin I have written.

I have a few issues I face here:

1. I see that some of the rdd files on the xenserver hosts under /var/xapi/blobs/rrds are substantially bigger than the others. What this leads to is a timeout at my end, when I encounter a big file and try to read it back for parsing.

2. I saw quite a few NaN values when I looked at these files.

3. I was curious to know how the xen center collected statistics, and if it indeed used the rrd files to parse through to collect statistics.

In any case, since the original java api is deprecated, this was the only way out as far as collecting stats was concerned. Please let me know if there is a better way to resolve this.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Abhishek