Re: [Xen-API] XCP DRBD Integration

To: Adam Gandelman <adam.gandelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] XCP DRBD Integration
From: "Sergio Charpinel Jr." <sergiocharpinel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 08:50:50 -0300
Cc: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 04:51:12 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=6m4k1pFo9mbWWWv3G1UBIuzuNEvr+uL7lw2NO03gY4Q=; b=uf7LBbQLsG+npQLd+U7epwc+SCI37LjPFX1TFUKPabPBKkHCUEaQuC+i3tK7r8gJtt peJVnOtlG44Whe9vb1Dmxp2uxVuKxcc7KUVadg2frU1ZHY2oTbMfxiqdJnN0IvjOq6Se F152s5/6QC1QqMLHeblBO+XPZHdxhPXdRGfgE=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Adam,

Actually, IMHO, DRBD works like a SR (Storage Repository) which each resource is attached to a VDI (LVM LV, hard drive partition, and any other block device) and manage them. That's what I have in mind.
But of course, I'd like to get yours suggestions first.

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers.

2010/6/8 Adam Gandelman <adam.gandelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sergio Charpinel Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm student from GSoC project and I'm working in DRBD and XCP
> integration. I'd like to keep the community updated about the project,
> and to get some feedback from you.
>
> I was discussing with Dave some possibilites to handle DRBD config
> while creating the SR. One possibility was to use device-config to
> handle the configuration. But DRBD configuration is not so simple
> because we have resources, and inside resources we have nodes in
> configuration file. So, we have key pairs values for common section,
> resources section and for each node.
> And it should be easy to add new resources to DRBD. So I think it is a
> good idea to implement a separate plugin to manage DRBD resources
> (add, remove, edit, etc.) in a existing DRBDSR. But I'm still don't
> know at what point I can integrate this plugin with the existing SMAPI.
>
> It would be nice to have suggestions from you.
>
> Cheers.

Hi-

I've given this lots of thought in the past but have not had time to
familiarize myself with the API.  I'm curious to know at which level you
plan on integrating the DRBD functionality.  For example, one large DRBD
resource that ends up configured as entire SR or DRBD resources
configured as a sort of extension to already existing SRs (ie, resource
configured on top of an already existing LV virtual disk)    The latter
would certainly increase complexity but allow for more flexibility in
terms of configuration, migration and performance tuning.  I like the
idea of configuring a resource to be brought up initially in StandAlone,
waiting to be paired with another node/SR for initial synchronization,
failover, migration, etc..  I believe the ganeti project uses DRBD in
this way currently.

There are certainly lots of different ways to insert DRBD into the mix.
I'm also interested to know what others think.

--
: Adam Gandelman
:

--