[Xen-API] enabling plain HVM migration in xapi

To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-API] enabling plain HVM migration in xapi
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 11:16:06 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 03:18:39 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Xapi currently insists that VMs have PV drivers installed before allowing
migration. The rationale for this is: (i) you get the best performance with
drivers installed, so you should always install them; and (ii) we focus our
testing on this case :-)

However, sometimes it is convenient to bypass this particular check and just do
it anyway. I've written a wiki page containing a simple bash script which
writes keys to xenstore, fooling xapi into believing that PV tools are
functioning. Let me know if you find it useful!

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XAPI_fake_presence_of_pv_drivers

In the future we probably should add some better mechanism to xapi to
selectively bypass this check; either something global ("enable experimental
feature:x") or something per-VM (e.g. an "other-config" key). Any thoughts? My
own thinking was that if migrate should always work (if a little slowly) then a
global option is better; but if it's guest dependent (i.e. crashes guest type
X, works ok on Y) then a per-VM flag is better.

Cheers,
Dave