[Xen-API] IPC on Domain0

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-API] IPC on Domain0
From: Derek Riley <derek.riley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:38:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 08:24:13 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:sender:received:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=9Gne8ishEDxKgpwN7ZKLJDPd3s+Ybtb/jb9j22QHpB4=; b=gHSZ2VZEcnMpya+WZamlZzTZ/Sd9ubgxKBrsKTBAayIqiKBURd16G/QkxPgIE2OowU 6LHgyWuUdAyEMtw/BIuu7OSRoQVOaU1/0BCnNl0Kzzjg/gr+dSKAfjgek1RUj2FQZllo q+oCS5h4xxIJ3+SPj+rbB1kijqqjC3bUGYGRg=
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello-
I am working on a project to modify Xen to precisely control the execution times of the individual guest domains, and I need some help.  I considered modifying the XM python program, but it is not precise or fast enough for my application.

I want to be able to pass short, simple message quickly between an application-level process and the Xen kernel asynchonously.  I found an IPC mechanism designed for the method called netlink (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7356), but I am not sure how to incorporate it into the Xen kernel.  When I attempt to recompile the kernel with netlink, I get errors that seem to stem from type issues I am not familiar with.

2 questions:
Is it possible to use a mechanism such as netlink with Xen?  If so, how?
Is there other functionality within Xen that could be used with minimal modification to do IPC within domain0?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
--Derek