Re: [Xen-API] Question about VM.create

To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-API] Question about VM.create
From: Fabien Hermenier <fabien.hermenier@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:21:11 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 02:21:19 -0800
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I just re-configure the xm client to use the xen-API to create my virtual machine (by modifying xm-config.xml). It appears that I can not create a virtual machine anymore using the same xm create -f ... command: THe xm client hangs up when it uses the method call "network.get_all()" that return an empty array.

My network configuration is based on the "network-route" script.

I don't know if this situation is a possible explanation for my problem. But just in case, I would like to check.

Regards
Fabien

Hy
I'm starting using the xen api to perform basic operations on vm. I use Xen 3.2.1, my VMs use a nfsroot filesystem with an initrd.

I used to start my VMs using "xm create -f ...", it worked fine. Here is a sample config file:

----
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64-VM"
root = "/dev/nfs"
nfs_server = '192.168.0.1'
gateway = "192.168.0.1"
netmask = "255.255.255.0"
extra = "xencons=tty1 clocksource=jiffies";
vif = [ 'ip=192.168.0.193' ]
ip="192.168.0.193"
hostname="tinyLenny1"
name="tinyLenny1"
memory=128
---

Now, I want to execute the same task using xenapi (I use a JAVA- binding). So first, I use VM.create() to create my VM with the kernel params to use the ramdisk and to configure the network interface. Then, I create a VIF interface using VIF.create(), I specify again the IP and associate it to the VM UUID previously created.
Finally, I start the VM.

On the console I see the IP-config of the ramdisk with the good values. But after this step, My VM hangs with a timeout: the server can not be connected.

I have read the documentation and others posts, but no solutions appear to be good in my situation. Does anyone has a hint, or a custom protocol to create a VM (using NFSroot) and boot it using xenapi ?

Thanks in advance

Fabien Hermenier