RE: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft

To: "Jim Fehlig" <jfehlig@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Ewan Mellor" <ewan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-API] Xen Management API draft
From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 09:24:40 +0100
Cc: Xen-API <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:42:02 -0700
Sender: xen-api-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Is it realistic to use XML-RPC for tasks such as resource monitoring?
> Seems like there should be an optional, lower-latency, lighter-weight
> mechanism to retrieve things such as host_cpu.utilisation,
> VBD.IO_bandwidth/incoming_kbs, etc.

The whole stats reporting interface certainly needs more thought.

However, I think it definitely should still use the xml-rpc interface,
we just need to 'cook' the raw data into something more directly useful
within xend so that there's no need to do high-rate polling on the API.
This might involve using something like rrdtool to generate averages
over different time scales etc.

Ian