xci-devel

Re: [Xci-devel] Which API for VM lifecycle?

To: Vincent Hanquez <vincent.hanquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xci-devel] Which API for VM lifecycle?
From: Andreas Sommer <AndiDog@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:45:55 +0100
Cc: "xci-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xci-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 11:46:11 -0800
Sender: xci-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Vincent Hanquez wrote:
Andreas Sommer wrote:
I'm currently trying to find out the basic structure of XCI and would like to know which APIs are available (in general), and which of them can be used for simple lifecycle tasks like:

- Creating, starting, shutting down, ... VMs
- List running VMs
xenvm is the main thing you should look at. it's a single VM daemon
that control the lifecycle of the VM. it supports all sorts of methods (available conveniently through xenvm-cmd, on dbus and/or a unix socket), to start/shutdown/suspend/etc..

I'll suggest having a look at the xenvm.readme file for more description on how to use it.

From a more low-level point of view, you have the xenops binary that have lots of sub command; the only really useful is xenops list, but you should be able to chain multiple xenops command (create, build, add_vbd, .. ) to create a fully working VM with a shell script too. xenops help and xenops <subcmd> -h will get you already quite far.

As far as I understand xenvm/xenops (toolstack.git/xenvm/*.ml) are only frontends to the xenops library files (toolstack.git/xenops/*.ml) which in turn are helper functions for libxc calls. Is that correct? And if so, could I simply use libxc's functions for doing simple tasks in XCI (using C as programming language)?